Creamy Shrimp Risotto
1 large onions minced
1 garlic clove, chopped
7 large shrimp chopped finely
1/2 cup dry white wine (or 1 lemon with 1/2 cup stock)
1 cup arborio rice
4-5 cups vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Chop onion finely and cook for 10-15 minutes until golden and sweet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook 3 more minutes.
2. Add the chopped shrimp and cook a minute more until well blended.
3. Heat up the vegetable stock in a separate pot.
4. Add the arborio rice to the onions/rice/shrimp and cook for several minutes on medium then turn up the pan for a minute to high.
4. Deglaze the pan by adding the wine (or lemon water) to a hot pan. Any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan will lift off.
5. Turn the pan down a little and begin adding the stock a cup or two at a time and stirring constantly. Wait for the stock to be absorbed before adding more. It should take about 25-30 minutes for the risotto to cook.
6. Garnish with chives or leave plain for kids who prefer ungarnished dishes.
Makes 2/3 servings for dinner or 4 servings for appetizer.