To make these gluten free crab cakes kid friendly I eliminated the green and red ingredients so they looked like fish sticks. Serve the crab cakes either on a bed of lettuce or on a hamburger buns. Kids always are more likely to try things if you give them fun names so instead of inviting everyone to the table for crab cakes you can call them "crabby patties" if your young kids are sponge bob fans.
- 1 pound crab meat, preferably lump
- 1 finely diced medium yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 9 Schar table crackers (about 1/2 cup crushed gluten free crackers
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour for dusting crab cakes before frying
- 3 tablespoons oil for frying
Optional ingredients (for big kids or more adventurous eaters)
- 4 chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Combine crab meat, sauteed onion and garlic, crushed crackers, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and seasoning. Combine with a large spoon.
Shape crab cakes and dredge in gluten free flour. Heat oil in large flat frying pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Place crab cakes in oil and cook until they are golden brown. Flip to cook on the other side. Serve with green sauce or tartar sauce.