Adapted from: Ismail Merchant's Passionate meals
- 1 cup organic chick-peas, soaked over night (2 cups soaked) or 1 can Eden Organic Chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cayenne
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp chick-pea flour (or coconut flour)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2. In a saucepan, heat oil and fry cayenne for a minute or so.
3. Add cumin powder, mustard powder, garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
4. Add ginger, tomatoes, 1 tsp salt and turmeric. Cook until tomatoes are well blended with the spices. I used a spatula to gently press down on the tomatoes while cooking.
5. Add chick-pea flour or coconut flour and stir to mix well. Cook for another 5-6 mins.
6. Add this mixture to the chick-peas and the water it was cooked in. Stir well, add lime juice and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes on a slow simmer.